Barranco: an exploration of art and local culture
The bohemian district of Barranco is the perfect setting from which to explore Lima’s contemporary cultural scene through the eyes and experiences of renown local artists.
Delve into the world of the Amazon and its mythology as you tour the studio of visual artist Harry Chavez, who specializes in making intricate designs using colorful beads. This very particular technique that he has developed over the last 15 years has earned him the privilege of exhibiting his work in many of the most prestigious exhibitions and biennales around the world. Then, make your way to Puna, a space run by artists Yerko Zlatar and Mariana Otero, who work with artisans from Andean communities to revive ethnic motifs from pre-Inca cultures, incorporating them into decorative and textile art. The shared store space also houses a laboratory where natural essences are combined and transformed into an array of delightful products, and a small artisanal chocolate shop where visitors can learn all about Peruvian cacao and coffee. From here, take a short walk through the neighborhood’s colorful streets as you make your way to the new Jade Rivera Museum, which showcases the art of the Peruvian urban artist and muralist, whose work graces walls across the Americas, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. After perusing the gallery space, settle in to the colonial house’s shady terrace for an exquisite lunch of home-made, local flavors. The excursion then continues with a stroll through Barranco’s historic and picturesque Bajada de Baños, and a visit to the El Gato Tulipán Cultural House, where – with the guidance of a talented teacher – you will have the chance to learn how to play instruments to the rhythms of Afro-Peruvian music, a genre that has hugely influenced Lima’s musical history. Bring the exciting day full of creativity and learning to a close with a pisco cocktail before heading back to your hotel.
- 09:00-10:00: Pickup from hotel
- 10:30: Tour begins. Introduction given in Barranco’s Plaza, or main square.
- 10:40-11:00: Visit to Harry Chavez’s studio.
- 11:00: Transfer by car to Saenz Peña Avenue.
- 11:10-11:30: Walk to Puna. Learn about the district’s architecture, history, and more, as you make your way.
- 11:35-12:30: Visit the Puna store.
- 12:35: Walk to the new Jade Rivera Museum.
- 12:45- 13:15: Visit the Jade Rivera Museum.
- 13:20-14:10: Lunch on the terrace of the Jade Rivera Museum.
- 14:15: Car Transfer to the Bajada de Baños (Puente de los Suspiros, or Bridge of Sighs).
- 14:30-15:00: Afro-Peruvian music class in the El Gato Tulipán Cultural House.
- 15:00: End of tour. Transfer to hotel(s).
MAX PAX: 12
From Tuesday to Sunday – both regular and private services available.
COMMISSIONABLE RATE PER PAX:
Price per person in USD for shared service: $99.00
- Car transfers
- Entrance ticket into the Jade Rivera Museum
- Afro-Peruvian music class
- Guided visits